Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wolverine Sighting!



Hello everyone!


I have some EXTREMELY exciting news for you. Do you remember when I told you, “I’ve never seen a wolverine, and I probably never will?” Well, I saw one. That’s right, I saw a wolverine!!!!!! After Leah and Eric left, Jeff and I enjoyed a visit from some more guests. Two women from the park service came into the valley on a recreational trip. They camped not far from the cabin, and we were able to spend lots of time with them. On Sunday Jeff, Kass, Sally, and I snowshoed up to Grinnell Lake. It is about nine miles round trip. We snowshoed across Swiftcrurrent Lake and Lake Josephine on our way to Grinnell Lake. When we reached Grinnell Lake, we saw wolverine tracks going across the entire lake. The four of us followed the tracks all the way across the lake but saw no sign of the wolverine. We found a nice lunch spot and were enjoying our meals when the wolverine ran across the lake. We got a good look at it for a minute or so before it ran into the woods. How awesome is that!!!!!!!!!!! It took a while to calm down from seeing the wolverine, but eventually we did and we headed back to the cabin.



Kass and Sally left on Monday to head back to the real world, and Jeff and I went back to work. Tuesday, Jeff and I hiked out to get our mail. We are still having extremely warm temperatures, so the entire road was clear except for a few patches of snow. Jeff’s boss, Troy, met us at the gate to take us to the Post office. Then, Troy hiked back in with us to stay for a couple of nights. Today, Wednesday, the weather is awesome. We have clear blue skies and mild wind. The temperature is 45 degrees today!


Mrs. McGee’s class had some questions for me, so I will answer them here. Do I like to go to the beach in the summer? Well I spent two winters on the beach, so I do enjoy it. In the summer I like to relax on the beach of Lake McDonald here in Montana. How much snow is there? There is not much snow. The entire road is clear and the snow drifts are quickly melting. How I seen any ghosts? No, I haven’t seen any ghosts. I don’t expect to see any either. Am I enjoying the winter in Montana? Yes, I am enjoying winter. It is incredibly beautiful here every day. What is my favorite book/ author? I enjoy reading Durvla Murphy. She is a travel writer from Ireland who has bike across Africa, Europe, Ireland, and other countries and continents.


Alright, now back to the wolverines! Some of you still had some questions about wolverines. Wolverines make loud vocalizations that sound like a combination of a growl and a snarl. They use vocalizations to warn other animals and to communicate with other wolverines. Unfortuntely, I was unable to find a link to a wolverine vocalization.

And, as to the question about what a wolverine track looks like, below is a picture that I took at Grinnell Lake on Sunday.



I haven’t been able to find any information on whether or not wolverines are cannibalistic. However, wolverines are opportunistic animals, so I would guess that if they found a dead wolverine, they would eat it. I also was unable to find information on whether or not wolverines groom themselves. I would think that they would groom themselves, but I am not sure.

See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. Clayton found that a wolverine is the largest member of weasel family.
    Bryce found that a wolverine eats bird eggs.
    Hannah thinks wolverines are cool and she is glad you saw one. She is still looking for a fact.
    Terry found that wolverines are found throughout Canada.
    Joshua Hayes found that wolverines are up to 26 to 34 pounds.
    Isaiah found that a wolverine looks like a small bear.
    Tyler found that a wolverine is carniverous (eats meat).
    Alex found that wolverines eat rat, mice and other small animals.
    Paul would like to know exactly "How you got that deer leg on top of the pole?"
    Matt said "Please tell us if you catch a fish".
    Hannah found a fact "Wolverines eat small animals and bird eggs."
    Kyle said "a wolverine is an omnivore".
    Dylan found that wolverines can be very dangerous.
    Kiara found that wolverines are not part of the bear and fox family.
    Kaitlyn found that wolverines eat rats and other animals.
    Laurel found that wolverines are like skunks because they spray.
    Chloe found that wolverines are not safe to be around.
    Sadie found that wolverines eat 10 times their weight.
    Mrs. Stahl was shocked that a wolverine looks the way it does. I had always thought it would be a large wolf like creature. I learned a lot. Thanks!
    WE enjoyed this research project. Thanks for this weeks blog.

    ReplyDelete