Sunday, November 1, 2009




Hello,

My name is Heidi. This winter my partner and I have accepted jobs as winter caretakers at an historic lodge in Glacier National Park in Montana. We will be spending about 6 1/2 months at the lodge. To get to where we will live and work we must ski or hike in 7 miles, so we will be all alone all winter. We will probably have a few visitors over the long winter but not many. While we are out there, we will shovel lots and lots of snow and do minor repairs at the lodge. We expect to see some wildlife, do some ice fishing, and see a few avalanches. The days will be short, freezing, and windy.

Getting ready for the winter took a lot of planning. We have to bring in all of our food and supplies before the snow starts falling. Here is a basic list of food we purchased:

110 pounds of meat
15 pounds of pasta
180 pounds of veggies
40 pounds of rice
40 cups of dried beans
60 pounds of canned fruit
50 pounds of flour
15 pounds of sugar
18 pounds of oats
150 servings of instant potatoes + 30 pounds fresh potatoes
12 pounds of butter
50 cans of soup
Plus many countless other items. In total has cost us about $1800.00

I will be posting letters on here each week to let you know how things are going in Montana, and I will need your help making it through the LONG, cold winter. I will be asking you questions and will expect that you have questions for me.

Until next time,

Miss Heidi

3 comments:

  1. Miss Heidi,
    We are glad to hear you are there and safe. We are going to do some research today and post on Thursday during our computer time. We are very excited about starting and we have already done some research on Glacier National Park to get ready.
    Christa Collins

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just read your post about the Big Horn Sheep. We will be getting back to you with our answers. We have a question or two for you.
    1. What is your daily schedule like?
    2. What is your friend's name?
    posted by: Mrs. Stahl and Mrs. Highfield's class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. Heidi, I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy day to do this for us here at Hasson. I have learned a lot and I am always looking forward to what you have in store for us next. Have you heard anymore about the wolverine study? Stay safe and warm :-)

    ReplyDelete