Wow, has it been a busy weekend. Wednesday, after I blogged to you I went over to the hotel and stained some wood. We must replace some of the wood in the door jams of some of the rooms. This is the kind of work that we will be doing all winter. We have to paint some of the rooms, repair doors, stain wood, and other stuff like that. We also went around the hotel and turned off all of the lights. The hotel is huge with 214 guest rooms! It was pretty dark and scary walking around in the hotel. We had to board up all of the windows on the first floor so that the snow doesn't break through the windows, so it's always dark in there.
Thursday, I spent about three hours chopping wood. Jeff and I are feeling the pressure to get our wood chopped before we get any more snow. I also shoveled snow, baked bread, and did laundry. I was pretty busy! I also met a photographer who hiked in pulling a sled with all of his camera gear. It was a great day for him because the sun was shining (a rare luxury out here) and there was a herd of at least twenty bighorn sheep. We are starting to see more males since they are trying to mate with the females.
Friday, the weather turned back to grey. Jeff and I built shelves to put our extra food on. We also planned an escape for the weekend. On saturday, we headed up to Canada to get out of the park one last time before we get snowed in. The Canadian border is only about 20 miles from where we live in the park. It was a nice weekend away and we got back into the park sunday night. By the way, what happened to the Steelers?! So, today I'm back to my usual routine, except that the wind is gusting at 60 mph! It is amazing how windy it is today, and the lake has frozen over! It is way to thin to walk on, of course, but winter is setting in.
Since I've been gone all weekend, I will give you a somewhat easy assignment, and one that I hope you will enjoy. Oh and before I forget, there is a meteor shower in the wee hours of tuesday the 17th and wednesday the 18th. We should see 20-30 meteors per hour over North America. You have to ask your parents, of course because it will be late at night, but it would be really cool for you to see, weather permitting.
Assignment: Compare and contrast grizzly bears and black bears.
There are several physical features that identify black bears and grizzly bears. I want you figure out the different charcteristics. For some help go to: http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearAware/Bears_of_North_America/Black_Grizzly_ID/black_grizzly_id.html
Compare and Contrast:
1. Color
2. Weight
3. Height
4. Rump
5. Face profile
6. Ears
7. Claws
Answers: Bear 1- black bear; Bear 2- black bear; Bear 3- grizzly bear
If you're feeling really confident, take the bear ID test on the website!
For your teacher: If you would like to you, you can make life size paper cutouts of black bear prints and grizzly prints.
Click on the link for pictures of life size tracks and it will give you pictures and dimensions to make your own cut outs. The kids might like this!



No comments:
Post a Comment